CHAS Support Service is unique in Bradford as it backed up by the full range of services available through CHAS Housing Aid. This includes specialist debt and housing advice, the CHAS money management scheme and assistance from the furniture recycling service Our aim is to  help you set up and sustain your home. 
The CHAS Support Service aims to prevent homelessness by providing a specialist tenancy support package to people who are at risk of losing their homes through rent arrears.

We can also help people who are being resettled out of hostels and other supported housing into their own rented accommodation.  
    We ensure that service users have the necessary support in place so they can        

    make a success of their tenancy. 
We work with other CHAS services and external support agencies to ensure that clients receive the best possible support. 

What kind of support is offered?  

Weekly home visits from your support worker who can offer help in some or all of the following areas:
providing a tenancy rescue package to save you from being evicted from your home with close joint working with CHAS advice colleagues 
  • assistance in identifying your own support needs
  • debt advice with budget plans and help with skills in setting up and maintaining of Gas, Electric and Water Bill accounts
  • help with setting up a new home
  •  assistance with claiming and maximising benefits
  • liaison with other service professionals e.g. housing officers and social services
  • provide emotional and practical support during times of crisis
  •  help to access local community facilities and returning to education/training
  • referrals to local drug and alcohol projects

What can I expect of the service?

  • your interests put first
  •  a confidential service
  •  a non-judgmental service committed to equal opportunities
  •  a support plan that is tailored to your individual needs
  •  to be involved in regular reviews of your support
  •  to be consulted about the development of  changes to the CHAS support service
  •  clear explanations of options, advice and policies 

How do I get referred to the service? 

Referrals can be made by professional agencies such as: 

  • Housing Office
  •  Social Services
  •  Advice Centres
  •  Health Visitors
  •  Other Housing/Social Care Agencies
  •  You can also refer yourself by contacting the support workers
  • After receiving the referral we will arrange to interview you within 7 days. 

During our first contact we will make a fair and objective assessment of your needs. If the service is suitable, and we have places available, your support package will begin shortly afterwards. 
If you would like to apply for support; or you would like more information, you can contact us at the address at the bottom of this page or:


                                            Tel: 01274 726790 
                                     Fax: 01274 727029 


CHAS @ St Vincent's is a Community Support Project of the St Vincent de Paul Society (England & Wales)

Registered Office: Romero House, 55 Westminster Bridge Road, LONDON, SE1 7JB

Tel: 020 7703 3030 Fax: 020 7703 5467 E-mail: Web:

A Company Limited by Guarantee Registered in England & Wales No: 3174679 VAT Reg No: 945628100  Charity Registration No: 1053992

Community Web Kit provided free by BT